Types of visa
The Moldovan consular authorities issue the following types of visas, depending on the purposes of stay:
Type “A” Visa – airport transit visa which allows to the foreign citizens to transit the international zone of the airport of the Republic of Moldova, without enter the territory of state at a stopover or a transfer between two sections of an international flight. Airport transit visa is a mandatory requirement for the nationals of the countries which need a visa to entry the Republic of Moldova.
Type “B” Visa – transit visa is issued to the foreign nationals who pass the territory of the Republic of Moldova on their own way to a third state, for the validity period of visa for the foreign destination. As appropriate, transit visa could be issued for no longer than a year.
A person in transit status is allowed to remain in the Republic of Moldova up to 5 days. Transit visa is a multiple-entry visa.
Type “C” Visa – short term visa is issued for a fixed period of time not exceeding 90 days per period of 180 days. Short term visa is issued for the following purposes:
- official delegations – representatives of the governments, public administrations or international organizations;
- tourism – foreigners having tourism as purpose of journey;
- visit – foreigners intending to visit Moldovan citizens or for holders of valid permanent residence card;
- business – foreign citizens visiting Republic of Moldova for economic and trade goals, having agreements or negotiations or for checking out of the usefulness of their goods bought or sold through trade agreements framework and industrial cooperation, for foreign national which are going to become partners or Moldovan company shareholders
- transport – is issued for foreign citizens who are going to travel for a short time, having a professional activity related to freight or passenger transport to Republic of Moldova
- Sports – is issued for a fixed period of time for foreign citizens who travel to Republic of Moldova, having sports activities purpose of journey
- Cultural, scientific, humanitarian, and religious and health activities – for short term stay
Type “D” Visa – is issued for a period not exceeding 12 months, with a stay up to 90 days during six months from the first entry. This type of visa allows the right to submit for a permanent residence permit. Long term visa is a multiple-entry visa. Purpose of issue: entrepreneurship, work, study, family reunion, cultural and religious activities, diplomatic and official activities and medical treatment.
In order to obtain a Moldovan visa, applicants should submit the following documents:
- A valid, signed passport (no copies), with visas pages available. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the expected departure from Moldova.
- An invitation, issued by the Migration Service of the Ministry of internal affairs (tel. +373 22 544 607).
- One passport-size photo.
- The filled in and signed Visa Application form; (the uncompleted application forms will not be examined and will be returned).
- Consular processing fee.
- Booking of flight ticket.
The fees for visas
|No.||Type of Visa||Fee (euro)|
|1||Type “A” Visa – airport transit||20|
|2||Type “B” Visa – transit visa||40|
|3||Type “C” Visa – short term visa||60|
|4||Type “D” Visa – long term visa||80|
The free visas are issued to:
- the officers of the international organizations the Republic of Moldova has adhered to, and the family members thereof;
- the children under-18s;
- the members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions and the family members thereof (on the base of reciprocity);
- the members of foreign government or parliament delegations and other officially invited persons, as well as the family members thereof;
- the Honorary Consuls of the Republic of Moldova and the family members thereof (husbands/wives and children under 18s);
- the holders of diplomatic passports;
- the persons originating from the Republic of Moldova.
The validity of the visa and the period of stay
The length of the stay on the territory of the Republic of Moldova on the basis of a visa cannot exceed 90 days during 6 months.
A foreign citizen who holds a visa for a single travel may enter one time the territory of the Republic of Moldova, may stay in the country during the period indicated in the visa and than leave the Republic of Moldova.
A foreign citizen who holds a visa for multiple travels may enter the country more times during the period of visa validity, may stay in the country every time not more than 90 days and then leave the Republic of Moldova.
If a visa is not used during its validity, it cannot be extended. In such cases the consular fees are not refunded and a new visa shall be obtained.
Foreign citizens who do not need visa for entry on the territory of the Republic of Moldova
The citizens of the following states, the holders of all the types of passports, do not need visas for the entry on the territory of the Republic of Moldova for a period of stay until 90 days, during six months from the moment of the first entry:
- The following member states of the European Union - Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Holland, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden;
- Canada, Georgia, Holy See, Iceland, Japan, Principality of Andorra, Principality of Monaco, Principality of Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, State of Israel, Swiss Confederation, USA, Georgia;
- CIS member states: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
The holders of the diplomatic and service passports, who are citizens of the following states do not need visas for the entry on the territory of the Republic of Moldova for the period up to 90 days during 6 months.
- Albania, Bosnia and Hertzegovina, Croatia, Muntenegru, Serbia, Turkey, Vietnam.
The holders of the diplomatic and service passports, who are citizens of the following states do not need visas for the entry on the territory of the Republic of Moldova for the period up to 30 days:
- China, Iran, Turkmenistan.
The staff of the diplomatic and consular missions accredited to the Republic of Moldova and the family members thereof, the staff of the permanent missions and the representative offices of the international organizations situated in the Republic of Moldova and the family members thereof, foreign mass-media representatives accredited to the Republic of Moldova and that hold the accreditation cards issued by the MFA, are entitled to enter and leave the territory of the Republic of Moldova without holding a visa during the whole validity period of the accreditation card.
The following categories of citizens of Turkmenistan do not need a visa for entry on the territory of the Republic of Moldova:
- members of the aircraft crew of the civil aviation, holders of national valid passports, having the required inscription into the general statement (air mission);
- members of the crew of the river and maritime ships, holders of valid sailor passports and having the required inscription into the logbook or an extract of it;
- railway members, members of train, refrigerator and locomotive crews in international trains, holders of national valid passports, having the nominal lists, roadmaps, approved for each route;
- special couriers, which facilitate the intergovernmental communication, holders of the national valid passports and having the required documents, issued by the competent authorities of the Parts.
Taking into account the provisions of the Law no.200 of July 16, 2010 concerning the foreigner’s regime in the Republic of Moldova, which has to enter into force December 24, 2010, foreign citizens, holders of a valid permanent residence permit, issued by the authorities of the Republic of Moldova, are exempted from the visa requirement.
The foreign citizens who are not indicated above can enter the territory of the Republic of Moldova on the basis of a valid visa.
The foreign citizens who do not need invitation to obtain a visa for the Republic of Moldova
The citizens of the following states do not need invitation to obtain the visa for the maximum period of 90 days:
- Republic of Croatia
- Republic of Macedonia
- Turkish Republic
Visa Application Form